Origin the Minas Passage
it is possible to trace the course of world history without gold
speak of the "Gold Cycle" Brazilian. This period, very
well defined in Brazilian history, coincides with the eighteenth century,
since it began in 1695, with the first export economically
meaningful and ended around 1800, when gold started
occupy a secondary position in the national economy. During this period,
the world gold production was 1,421 metric tons, and
the captaincy of Minas Gerais, Ouro Preto and Mariana practically,
contributed to 700 tons or 50% of the gold produced in period.
internalization of Brazil began with the search for wealth, especially
gold, emeralds and diamonds, that men of the time thought there
that so beautiful and promising land. Organized into groups called
Scouts, they gave themselves body and soul searching metals
and precious stones, is engrossed by the hinterlands. Towards the end
XVII century, around 1695, one of this flags, commanded
by Manuel Garcia Velho, located in Tripuí, eight leagues of Gold
Black granite a series of colored steel, which later, when examined,
found that it was very fine gold. The news has spread
every part of the colony and from 1697 it established a "rush" that swelled in subsequent years.
1780, John Lopes de Lima expressed the deposits of gravel N.
S. Bom Sucesso and, in 1702, John Siqueira gave the knowledge
Mariana sink. During this period the two groups settled
miners who would be the towns of Vila Mariana and
Rica of Our Lady of Pilar de Ouro Preto. Despite the short distance
that separated them, if ignored for long. But the murky waters
the Ribeirao do Carmo showed for the inhabitants of Mariana, which
upstream, there was another city. Eager to maintain contact
with civilized elements, rose the Ribeirao do Carmo. in 1719
founded the village of Passage, which lies between the two cities.
During this time, the miners who went upriver the batting
alluvial deposits, discovered gold primary Passage.
discovery and plenty of gold, in the period 1729 to 1756 flowed
area for a large number of elements that are exploring
the deposits concentrated in Morro de Santo Antonio. papers
were carried out in the open and / or services through small
underground that usually stopped when the water was reached
table. Plowed up, recovered and was then only the gold contained
in itabirites in jacutinga and auriferous iron yoke. The hand labor
was totally slave and it is believed that at one time, about
35,000 slaves populated the slave quarters of Morro Santo Antônio.
eighth century the discovery of gold in Passage. the Scout
traveled shafts d `agua Rio Doce basin, reached the Ribeirão
do Carmo, which pinpointed abundant alluvial gold. climbing
Ribeirão in typical prospecting for panning, discovered in 1719
the primary deposits of Passage. From 1729 to 1756, several miners
obtain concessions for the exploitation of mineral deposits. Over
the years, reduced to a single owner. After his death his heirs
transferred to Mina, the March 12, 1819, the baron W. L. von Eschwege.
work hitherto concentrated on Morro Santo Antônio and were
performed by hand labor servile open or through small
underground services .. Recuperating Gold contained in Itabiritos
in jacutinga and yoke iron-auriferous. According to tradition, peopled
zensalas the Morro Santo Antônio, 35,000 slaves. The ruins still
existing witness this remote passado.Eschewege formed the first
mining company in Brazil, under the name of Mineralogical Society
Pass. Built the mill, with ten Californians and pestles
established forefront of underground mining. only after
the year 1800 is that gold was discovered in the quartzite, schist in
graphitic and the Dolomites, a new direction exploitation of the deposits.
After years of prosperity,
Baron Eschewege attracted to new activities in the steel industry pioneer,
lost interest in mining gold. The Mineralogical Society
passed, the 1 sup> June 1659, at the hands of the English mining
Thomas Bawden. This, after working four years, resold it,
the November 26, 1863, to Thomas Treolar, representative of the new
company formation, "Anglo Brazilian Gold Mining Company
Limited ", which advocated the Socidade Mineralogical Pass.
The "Anglo Brazilian" conceptions acquired several neighboring
Seawall and Mata as horses and worked in the mines, 1864 to 1873
producing 753,501 ounces of gold at an average grade of 6.89 grams per ton of ore.
1874 to 1883, the mine was paralyzed. On March 14, 1883 was
sold to a French union, which was the "The Gold
Gold Mines of Brazil Limited "The new company operated with great
success until March 1927, when it was sold to the group Ferreira
Guimarães, bankers Minas Gerais and transformed in May
same year, the current Company Minas Passage. The Mining Company
Passage operated regularly until 1954. From then until 1960 was
paralyzed. Attempts to reopen, 1959-1966, were unsuccessful.
The general inflation, lack of capital and spirit miner
mainly the unrealistic price of gold fixed at $ 35 an ounce,
and finally the obligation of all production is sold to Bank of Brazil, made ??the mining uneconomic.
1967 to 19 December 1973, the Company Group Anglo Brazilian
Constructions acquired control of the Company Mines
Passage, without success in attempts, so disordered,
of developing the project. In October 1976, the then equity
majority, acknowledging the failure of their attempts, returned
controlling interest to Dr. Walter Rodrigues.